Thursday, March 5, 2009

Will Strength Training Make Me Bulky?

Will strength training make me bulky? I get this question from women all the time. I think it is largely fueled by photos of female bodybuilders.

If I could state the answer any more clearly I would but I think I can reduce it to one word: "no."

Women, on average, have 1/10th the testosterone of men. This is more or less the bottom line. The image of huge muscular women that many fear is almost always a drug-fueled aesthetic.

The good news is that women can get much stronger through strength training than they are in their untrained state. This can significantly aid performance as well as making one more resistant to injury.

If you are a highly unusual genetic specimen and find yourself getting truly "bulky" then you can choose to stop training. The training effect does reverse over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© 2010 Terminal City Training